Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How Do I Find Out If I Qualify for Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program) or Child Health Plan Plus+?

A: If your income falls within published Federal Income Guidelines, you may qualify for Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program or CHP+. To find out if you and/or your children qualify, please contact us.


Q: What is Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+)?

A: Colorado’s program for children whose parents make too much to qualify for Medicaid but can’t afford private insurance. Learn more about CHP+ here.


Q: How Do I Apply?

A: We can process your application for you, but you will need to make an appointment. When you call we’ll walk you through what you need to bring to the appointment so that your application can be processed as quickly as possible.

By allowing us to process your application, you may receive benefits more quickly as we can give face-to-face application assistance, immediately certify the required documentation and issue you a temporary benefits card on the spot so that you can get the medical care you need promptly.

If you prefer, you can download an application for Child Health Plan Plus at the Program Eligibility and Application Kit website.


Q: Where Is Pueblo StepUp Located?

A: Our offices are at 1925 E. Orman Ave., Suite A640 (6th Floor). We also provide application processing at several other locations, including St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center, Pueblo Community Health Center, Southern Colorado Family Medicine, and school-based wellness centers in Pueblo.


Q: What Documents Would Be Helpful to Bring?

A: You may bring:

  • Proof of income
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of identity
  • Social Security cards

Q: What If I Don’t Have All Of These Documents?

A: Even if you don’t have all of your required documentation, we can begin processing your application materials and stamp the application to establish the date you applied. We may be able to issue you a temporary benefits card based on the date your application is processed so that you will have 45 days of temporary coverage while your application is processed for children and pregnant women. When the application receives final approval, you will receive a permanent card.


Q: I lost my Medicaid card. How do I get another one?

A: Contact your Family Health Coordinator or your local County Department of Social/Human Services to get a replacement Medical Identification Card (MIC). You can also contact Customer Service at 1-800-221-3943.


Q: I can’t get my prescription. Who can help me?

A: For assistance call Customer Service at 1-800-221-3943.


Q: I am not sure if I should to go to the emergency room, who can I call?

A: Call the NURSE ADVICE LINE at 1-800-283-3221


Q: How do I change my information or report the birth of my child?

A: Contact your local County Department of Social/Human Services


Q: Why was I enrolled in a Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program) HMO?

A: Passive enrollment encourages client participation in a Health First Colorado managed care health plan and promotes selecting a primary care physician as the client’s medical home. For more information call HealthColorado, the Health First Colorado enrollment broker at 303-839-2120 (within Metro Denver), or 1-888-367-6557 (outside Metro Denver).


Q: How do I unenroll from a Health First Colorado HMO?

A: You can call HealthColorado, the Health First Colorado enrollment broker at 303-839-2120 (within Metro Denver), or 1-888-367-6557 (outside Metro Denver).


Q: How can I get help in choosing a Health First Colorado Primary Care Physician?

A: You can call your Family Health Coordinator or search our online directory.


Q: Where do I find the list of Health First Colorado or CHP+ Specialists?

A: You can search our online directory for local specialists, or use the Medical Provider Lookup for specialists around the state.


Q: I got a bill from a provider. What do I do?

A: First, contact the provider that is billing you and get all the information as to why the provider is billing you. Then contact Customer Service at 1-800-221-3943.


Q: I am going out of state. What do I do if I need medical care?

A: If you are temporarily out of state, but still are a resident of Colorado, you may receive some Health First Colorado benefits under certain conditions: (1) It is a medical emergency that is life or limb threatening, as determined by the doctor; or (2) Your health would be endangered if you were required to return to Colorado for the medical care/treatment.

The Out of State provider is only reimbursed if they are enrolled in or are willing to enroll in the Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid program).

Do you have a question that wasn’t answered here?
Please call us at 719-557-5886